11.02.2009

Day One

12:24 AM - First word written

12:34 AM - 87 words in. Not sure what pace that puts me at, but it probably isn’t good.

12:44 AM - 188 words in. ‘Wolf Like Me’ comes on the shuffle and i crank the speakers, since I’m the only one here in this house. Not sure what tense I’m writing in, which is troublesome, but I’m sure that’ll get hammered out, forgotten, and rediscovered over the course of the month. Volume up a few more notches, then hit repeat.

12:54 AM- 297 words. Getting bogged down in thought, distracted by random things, though I have no internet to waste time with. The desire to make everything sound perfect right away is keeping my pace slow. Must learn to get past that and just go go go. The sooner I get to 1,667 the sooner I can go to sleep.

1:04 AM- Still 297. Had to run back to the apartment to shit. A weakness of mine, not being able to shit in foreign toilets. Debating whether or not to get into the bottle of wine in the cupboard over the stove. Pro: being mildly drunk is fun. Con: will probably get drunk enough not to focus on noveling and instead run around apartment until passing out.

1:30 AM- 357. A very fine caliber, but a very poor wordcount. The internet is my enemy. At least the wine has stayed corked...

1:56 AM- 606. Finally escaped the first scene. Focus is in short supply, and I think I might have passed out for a minute or two. Feel like I should have more of an outline; like I’m running ahead at full speed with my eyes closed, only not in a good, exploratory way, but in a bad, going to set up lots of problems later way. Nevertheless, I’m on chapter two, which is good, I think.

1:05AM - 687. Moment of total confusion before I realized there is a time change tonight. Thought I had somehow gone back in time, yet was able to keep the progress I’ve made since the last time it was 1:05. Like I was given a second chance to make better use of the 1-2 o’clock hour. But, yeah, I’ll probably just waste this new hour like I did the last.

1:27 AM- 1,008 words. Maybe, just maybe, I have a shot at finishing this whole thing. Calling it a night to the rhythms of Neil Young and Crazy Horse, this time at a reasonable volume.

10:14 AM - At it again. Been up for a while now, but couldn’t even get the documents opened until now. Rooibos helps.

11:27 AM - 1,699 words in. At the quota for today, and calling it quits for a while. Finally got some momentum built up; gears are turning, wheels are spinning, and such.

No comments: