11.26.2009

Day Twenty-four

12:20 AM - 28,330.Predator reference: check. Again, I wrote myself into a situation wherein “down the hall” is grotesquely overused.

12:52 AM - 29,036. Really got up a good head of steam for that section there. Time for a change of scenery, from the ever-more-welcoming locale of Yellowhouse to the depths of the dingy apartment I’ve called home for the last three years. Still more writing to be done this night, or morning, or whatever, but for now a short break.

1:48 AM - 29,036. Back at the apartment and I realize now I’ve left my headphones (for special music) at Yellowhouse. But I do have a good supply of bread for toasting and Nutella for spreading.

2:03 AM - 29,331. Maybe, just now, the most bizarre sentence of the book was created. Behold: This seemed curious to him, and, though his knowledge of space-based physics was rudimentary at best, he chalked this incongruence up to the un-reality he hypothesized he was trapped in.

2:28 AM - 30,007. Getting close to the point where I should be wrapping up the second section of the novel and returning to the first person narrative I so love, but it still feels a long way off. I’m exactly 10,001 words behind the quota for today, which is terrible. Oh how I wish for the whimsical days of the first week, where I was always at least a day ahead. No matter, a few more nights of work like this and maybe I have a chance at pulling this out.

2:49 AM - 30,453. Finding it difficult to explain music with text. How to you describe the sound of a guitar without saying it sounds like a guitar? This seems like a good exercise, to try and duplicate with narration the tones and feel of music. Too bad I don’t have the time, with this project, to figure out the best way to do so.

3:03 AM - 30,650. Hit a wall. Tied up a lengthy, unplanned section that was fun to write, but now I’m back into the well-mapped territory that hasn’t peaked my interest as of late. I guess I could discard the prescribed plot an do something more exciting, but I feel obligated to the story, to tell it the way I know it needs to be told. Maybe I’ll just have Dr. Lillincully or Quacksalver appear whenever I need to get out of a rut. Seems to have worked so far.

No comments: